text-align:center;

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Praying with persistence Meditation Number 10

In today's meditation we see the most vivid example of persistent prayer. This is the parable told by Jesus of the woman and the unjust judge:

Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2 He said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared what people thought. 3 And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary.’

4 “For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, ‘Even though I don’t fear God or care what people think, 5 yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually come and attack me!’”

6 And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7 And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8 I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”


Matthew Henry's concise commentary says this about the Widow in the parable

"All God's people are praying people. Here earnest steadiness in prayer for spiritual mercies is taught. The widow's earnestness prevailed even with the unjust judge: she might fear lest it should set him more against her; but our earnest prayer is pleasing to our God. Even to the end there will still be ground for the same complaint of weakness of faith."

In our devotional study the writer likens persistence in prayer to passionate prayer. I believe that when praying to God becomes persistent, passion ensues. I say this from my own experience of crying out to God for issues that were important to me.

When I was pregnant with my second son, I was finishing my Masters Degree at Texas Woman's University. I found myself wondering if I should complete my studies with my rigorous schedule since I was pregnant. I continued even though I was tired many days at the end of the day. I don't think I've ever prayed as hard and as persistent as I did during that time. I wrapped myself around God's word and my studies. The result was more than I could ask or think...I finished my degree and delivered an awesome baby boy three weeks later. That set of circumstances changed my life and changed my faith in what I know God will do. I am better for the experience.

I Love Music and sometimes music bears witness to what I've experienced in my walk with God...

">

1 comment:

  1. I never could never made it without Jesus. Jesus is my everything and he does answer our prayers. If we did not have a problem then we would not know that God would solve it. So let's take everything to Jesus in prayer

    ReplyDelete