text-align:center;

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Getting What You Ask For Meditation 13




The Bible in 1John 5:14 says:
And how bold and free we then become in his presence, freely asking according to his will, sure that he's listening., And if we're confident that he's listening, we know that what we've asked for is as good as ours. (The Message)

Dr. VanderGriend carefully teaches in this meditation the difference between praying and wishing. We get what we ask that is "according to his will" (Romans 8:29)

Many years ago in bible study at HPUMC,I learned to personalize God's message to me in the bible. I often insert my name in the scripture . I read the words as though they were written for me because they were. I pray God's will for my life and my family.
While I pray believing I will get from God what I ask for thats in his will; I believe its important that readers understand God's will is sovereign.

I realize that, like a child, I sometimes don't really know whats good for me. I ask and trust that
God knows best for my life. Learning God's will for my life means meditating on his word. Praying, for me, is asking according to his sovereign will.

I read a series of books called the Mitford Series. In the book the fictional Father Tim was the local pastor/friend/servant to many people in the town. He often prayed for the sick and comforted those in grief. From time to time he would say....
"Let us pray the prayer that never fails:" Father let your will be done on earth as it is in heaven....Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment