text-align:center;

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Meditation Day 1 Ash Wednesday


Alvin Vangergriend calls prayer the “talking” part of a friendship

I’ve always been selective about the people I call my friends. I see friendship as a love relationship not a casual one. Proverbs 17:17 says a friend loves at all times……

My mom died when I was 14 years old. I lived in that lonely despair that grief brings to the human heart for a long time. At some point, I began to remember my mother’s voice singing “What a friend we have in Jesus.”

As the years went on, I learned to sing that song more and more. I learned, at that young age, how to trust in God and love him as my friend. I still do.

I admit there are times when I don’t feel as close to God as I want to. Life gets me down sometimes. When these difficult times come, “something” happens to remind me of the love I have for God. “Something” comes into my mind and nudges me to remember that God has been faithful. That "something" is the holy spirit of God who gently nudges me .

In Vandergriend’s book, he teaches that prayer nurtures that friendship between us and God. He says that it does not matter so much how long we pray but; He contends that we should spend enough time with God to build a good relationship.

I am working on intentionally spending more time with God. Writing this blog is one such way of doing that. While I am writing, I am thinking about just how good God has been. He really is the one true friend who will never leave us or forsake us.

Do you spend enough time with God to strengthen your friendship?

Do you sometimes wonder what you should say when you pray?


Consider this…
Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good. Romans 8:26-27 (The Message)



Prayer: Holy Spirit, teach me what to say on this blog. Let my words truly reflect my heart toward you. I give praise and adoration for how great you are. I am so grateful for this ultimate friendship that is never fake, but always real. In Jesus name…..Amen

1 comment:

  1. This is great! Reminds me of the song "I am a friend of God"

    ReplyDelete